As we prepare to celebrate the holidays at office parties and social gatherings, party hosts must keep liability in mind as they plan celebrations, especially those involving alcohol. Partygoers should be encouraged to take personal responsibility for their actions to curb lawsuit abuse this holiday season.
Following these suggestions can help avoid lawsuits being served at your holiday party:
- For parties in your home, plan transportation for your guests, including designated drivers, taxis, or coordinating ride shares for a safe ride home. Have ample and appealing nonalcoholic beverages for your designated drivers.
- For office parties, consider a ride-share or taxi service for your employees.
- Avoid providing a self-service bar, opting for a bartender well-versed in identifying underage and intoxicated drinkers.
- Halt the flow of alcoholic beverages long before the party ends.
- Act if a guest does overindulge, arranging for transportation home.